Monday, April 25, 2005


 

Hold on to Windows XP

I've been reading several articles regarding Longhorn, its' features, and readiness - all talked about at WinHEC today. I can't wait to install the beta come summertime. I'm looking forward to trying out the new Tablet features.

Here is a choice quote from ZDNet:

Microsoft wouldn't say when that beta version will arrive, but Gates said the company is still focused on trying to release the final version of Longhorn in time to make it on PCs sold for the final couple of months of 2006.

"When I see those demos, I think, 'Gosh, let's get Longhorn done,'" Gates said. But he added that quality remains the top priority and warned that Microsoft could further change the timetable for the operating system if problems arise during testing.


Here is what I think will happen: the final couple of months of 2006 will turn into the 1st or 2nd quarter of 2007 for a release date. That means we are a good 2 years away from seeing Longhorn officially released. I bet we see a Service Pack 3 released for Windows XP before Longhorn hits that should take us to the release for Longhorn. Nothing wrong with that. However, I hope we see some good Tablet OS improvements before Longhorn hits, though, like trainable recognition.
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Powered by Blogger