Monday, June 20, 2005


 

Programming Jobs Losing Luster in U.S. - Yahoo! News

Very interesting article on the state of the programmer. In my consulting practice, I've definitely seen the desire to focus on the higher business strategy / analysis role - a mind for business is what my clients want. The fact that I can also parlay that into a workable application or new web interface adds to the strengths I bring to the table for my client.

Programming Jobs Losing Luster in U.S. - Yahoo! News: "Gartner researchers say most people affiliated with corporate information technology departments will assume 'business-facing' roles, focused not so much on gadgets and algorithms but corporate strategy, personnel and financial analysis.

'If you're only interested in deep coding and you want to remain in your cubicle all day, there are a shrinking number of jobs for you,' said Diane Morello, Gartner vice president of research. 'Employers are starting to want versatilists — people who have deep experience with enterprise-wide applications and can parlay it into some larger cross-company projects out there.'"
Comments:
Interesting perspective, and it definitely makes sense now, especially with how projects often require cross-disciplinary expertise.

I didn't know "versatilists" was a word, however. Perhaps I missed that day in school. I guess if you work for Gartner, you can make up whatever nomenclature you want.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Powered by Blogger