Wednesday, October 19, 2005


 

turn your screen off, hibernate, standby

Warner was kind enough to remind me (and others) of a thread I wrote a while back about how to conserve battery power by programmatically turning on / off your screen. Here is the post from TabletPCBuzz.com that I wrote. I hope you find it useful.

I was reading Robert Williams blog, Director of Business Development and Partner Engineering for the Mobile Platforms Division at MS, regarding power management. He had a good tip about turning the monitor off when not using it to conserve battery and assigning that utility to a button on the tablet.

I looked for a utility or exe on my computer that would automatically turn my monitor off and couldn't find one. After googling high and low, I finally found one at http://www.fixup.net/tips/saver/ : monsus.exe and it works like a charm. With a tap of the pen, you can turn your monitor off. Then with a tap on the screen, the monitor comes back to life. Great way to save some battery life and easy to do with your pen.

I also have a hibernate.exe and suspend.exe that can be mapped to one of your tablet buttons. I've been using these for a while and found them at http://www.tc-one-thousand.com

I've wrapped all three programs into zip file for those of you might want to use them: http://www.zoeinc.com/monitor.zip They certainly make it easier to initiate the utilities by simply using your pen.

Enjoy


Comments:
Thanks for the tips Rob. I've used Wizmo from grc.com for this for a couple years, but I am always on the lookout for alternatives.
 
as a mac user, i don't understand this post. why isn't this built into the OS? This doesn't make sense at all.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Powered by Blogger