Thursday, January 19, 2006


 

Interesting development on the customer front

I have a customer that I set up with TC1100’s about 2 + years ago. They are ready to upgrade to some new stuff, we’ve been reevaluating what to get based on how they have used the TC1100. My biggest finding: they hardly ever used the tablet functionality. They are highly mobile, but they almost always used the TC1100 as a laptop. Prior to learning this, I was leaning toward getting them the X41T tablet, but since they hardly use tablet functionality and I can get a much higher end notebook for the same money now, I’m looking at the Lenovo X60 notebook.

Which brings me to my main point: we are hitting the point where companies who initially deployed tablet pcs two to three years ago are going to be redeploying new hardware. I wonder how many will choose to go with a tablet pc again vs a regular notebook.

Faced with buying a dual core notebook vs a pentium m tablet pc, is the choice very difficult? OEMs who are serious about tablet pcs need to begin rolling out dual core tablet pcs at the same time they roll out their dual core notebooks. Otherwise, the choice will go toward the dual core.


Comments:
What do you see as the cause? Do the individuals know how to use pen and ink features (training issue)? Do the applications that they are using need more features?
 
Training wasn't an issue. I worked heavily with them on tablet. When they first got the tablets, they used the handwriting notes aspect a lot. However, as time went on, the novelty wore off, and they never full took advantage of handwriting notes. Keyboarding was quicker for them.

Regarding software, most of their contact management is in ACT, which doesn't support ink notes, so the integration between keeping handwritten notes tied to contacts was a pain point. I think if software existed that worked in conjunction with ACT!, they would have had more success.

As a tablet, they mostly used the pen as a navigation device.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Powered by Blogger