Friday, February 03, 2006
Single, most important takeaway from the Mobile Partners Brief
The Mobile Partner brief in Redmond was fantastic. Chock full of information.
As I reflect on the brief, the single thing I take away from it is:
ISV's need to begin concentrating on mobilizing their apps, especially considering Microsoft's blue print for the ideal Lifestyle / Ultra Mobile PC.. Depending on the focus of the app, it includes many of the following issues:
- ensure your app is good citizen in regard to power management.
- Design Your apps to accomodate for smaller screens like the LS800, DualCor, etc..
- the fresh look at your UI in regard to touch. Instead of an array of small buttons, consider contextual menus, in order to give the user a fuller screen to work with. when using buttons, make then larger and provide enough room between the buttons for touch.
- take a look at sync possibilities, providing a way for users to work seamlessly when mobile.
- for pen enabled apps, try to use the tip less and allow for direct inking in to field and recognize on the fly or one command.. As more laptops come out that have tablet is a feature your apps need to be ready for pen.
I'm sure that others might have a different perspective, but that is the primary thing I walked away with.